Why is Self-Care so important?
Self-care is about so much more than just indulging in pleasurable activities; consistent self-care is important for preventing injuries, strengthening areas of weakness, and maintaining strength and resilience. True self-care recharges our personal batteries and promotes health and wellness in our entire being.
When it comes to massage therapy, the role of self-care often has the profit of complimenting, enhancing, and even prolonging massage benefits. Hydrotherapy after a therapeutic session can aid muscles in relaxing, and can reduce inflammation and discomfort in an area. Muscles that have been relaxed during a Swedish massage can become more relaxed post-session when you take the time for a calming Epsom Salt bath, or when you incorporate deep-breathing exercises into your day. Functionally short muscles that have been lengthened during a therapeutic session can further be lengthened (or maintain lengthening) through isolated stretching and/or through yoga sessions where the stretch is held for at least 90 seconds.
And likewise, massage therapy can compliment or enhance your other self-care practices. De-stressing exercises can be benefited further by taking the time for a Swedish session. Yoga stretches can be enhanced when your massage therapist works with you to lengthen tight and shortened muscles. Self-care goals such as “Be kind to yourself”, “Find time to unwind and relax at least one day each week”, “Focus on the positive”, etc… can easily be incorporated into your Summer by scheduling a massage session.
How can you incorporate self-care into your Summer?
If you are looking to be more proactive in your health and well-being, we can help.
These 15 ideas for self-care can assist you in getting started.
- Plan at least one day each month to do nothing but relax.
- Whatever was bothering you last month, let it go.
- Do something you have been putting off for a while.
- Do one thing that makes you feel grounded or “blissed out”.
- Do something to pamper yourself.
- Wear sunscreen. Then, go outside and spend time with nature.
- Drink More Water.
- Introduce more fruits and vegetables into your meals.
- Use a calendar or a planner to schedule some intentional “me time.”
- Lay down somewhere on your back for five minutes (or more), and just focus on deep breathing.
- Acknowledge something difficult that you have done, or that you are doing, even if it may not feel difficult to others. Congratulate yourself for it.
- Ask for help when you need it. It sounds simple, but not asking for help and trying to accomplish everything yourself, or ignoring areas where you need assistance, causes stress and anxiety for many people.
- Finish this sentence: “I love myself because ______________.” Do this once per day, with a new ending each time.
- Get a massage!
Massage Therapy can support you in meeting or complimenting many of your self-care goals. At Heaven Sent Massage of Ellijay, our staff of knowledgeable and trained professionals will work with you to create a treatment plan to address your wellness goals.
If you would like to add massage to your self-care this Summer, you may contact us to schedule your next session, or click on Schedule Now.